Who We Are
UUWF is a continental membership organization that advances justice for women and promotes their spiritual growth. It is an independent non-profit, 501 (c) (3) corporation and one of only three associate member organizations of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
Inheritor of a proud tradition, UUWF was formed in 1963 through consolidation of the Association of Universalist Women (founded in 1869 and believed to be the first organization of lay church women in the United States) and the Alliance of Unitarian Women (1890).
- We affirm the inherent value of each woman within our community;
- We affirm the importance of women’s voices in our religious quest;
- We link hearts and minds in service of women’s truths;
- We pledge action against the religious roots of sexism;
- We pledge to support the diversity of religious feminisms;
- We work to raise consciousness of the linked nature of oppressions;
- We seek justice for all women in the struggle to transform institutions of oppression;
- We highlight and celebrate women’s achievements – past, present and future.